Whether you are just toying with the idea of having hair transplant surgery or
have already scheduled a consultation, you likely have more than a few questions. You might be wondering if you’re a good candidate, or perhaps you’re curious about the procedure itself. You might even be wondering if you can really expect to see sufficiently satisfactory results to make the process worthwhile.
So, to help you feel more confident with your decision, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions here at DiStefano Hair Restoration Center. Read on to learn more.
- What causes hair loss? Several factors contribute to thinning hair, including stress, hormonal changes, and even diet. The most common, however, is genetics.
- Do hair re-growth products provide similar results to hair transplant surgery? While such products can reduce hair loss and sometimes even enhance new growth, they cannot give you a full head of hair as transplant surgery can.
- Am I a candidate? If you are in generally good health and have adequate hair density at the sides and back of your head, you may be a solid candidate for hair transplant surgery.
- Can a previous transplant be corrected? If you had surgery years ago and have been unhappy with the results, it may be possible to improve the look and feel of your transplanted hair.
- Is it painful? Patients commonly experience minimal discomfort during surgery; any post-surgery discomfort can be treated with light medication.
- How long does a surgery take? This depends on the complexity of the procedure and the number of grafts. For example, a transplant of about 2,000 grafts will take approximately 5 hours.
- What are the risks? While extremely rare, infection and healing problems can occur with hair transplant surgery, especially for individuals who have had previous procedures and have a significant amount of scarring in the donor area.
- How quickly can I resume normal activities? Most patients can resume their daily routines within two days but should avoid strenuous activities for 10 to 12 days after the sutures are removed.
- When can I expect to see results? You will notice small scabs in the recipient area for about 1 to 2 weeks post-surgery. Over the next few weeks, most existing hair shafts will fall out and new shafts will begin to grow. You should see full results in about 9 months.
For answers to all your questions, and then some, contact DiStefano Hair Restoration today to schedule your free consultation. Or, book your consultation online.