The average person has about 100,000 hairs on their head. That’s about equal to the number of interesting (and even odd) facts about human hair.
Here are some of our favorites:
- It’s impossible to tell whether someone is male or female by looking at strands of hair.
- Only bone marrow grows faster than hair.
- Hair is made up of 14 elements…including traces of gold.
- All of your hair follicles are in place when you reach 5 months in the womb.
- When healthy hair gets wet, it can stretch by 30%.
- A whole head of hair can support a pulling force of 12 tons.
- According to the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Leicester, Rapunzel’s hair would support 45 men as they climbed up her tower.
- Only 1% of the population has red hair.
- 13% of the Scottish population has red hair.
- If you took the total amount of hair you grow in a year and placed it in one hair it would be ten miles long.
Of course finding the best hair transplant doctor is serious business. Make sure you ask any hair loss restoration surgeon you’re considering to give you some facts about their practice, such as whether or not they are a member in good standing of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons. Or, that they’re members of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons. It’s the best place to start when trying to find the best hair transplant doctor.
DiStefano Hair Restoration Center is committed to helping men and women take charge of their appearance and self-esteem through hair restoration options. For more than 16 years, DiStefano has been at the forefront of the hair transplantation industry, and has performed more than 5,000 successful hair transplant procedures.