What is the difference between follicular unit extraction (FUE) and strip surgery? What are the pros and cons of these techniques and how do you know which one to choose? To help you make a more informed decision regarding the matter, here are some things you need to know.
FUE and Strip Surgery 101 – Everything You Need to Know
The main difference between FUE and strip hair transplantation lies in the manner by which the follicular units are extracted. In FUE, hair follicles are collected using a small handheld device while in strip surgery, a small section of flesh is surgically removed from your scalp (donor area). The individual hair follicles that will be transplanted to your balding areas will then be harvested from this thin strip of skin.
Pros and Cons of Follicular Unit Extraction
Some of the advantages associated with FUE include the following:
- Virtually pain-free. Most patients can attest that they did not feel any pain during the procedure.
- Faster healing time. Since the process only involves microscopic incisions, healing time is significantly shorter and the risk of infection is generally non-existent.
- Less scaring. Scarring is typically insignificant since FUE is considerably less invasive as compared to strip harvesting and doesn’t require any stitching, staples or bandages. As such, you can confidently wear your hair short without showing any telltale signs.
- Produce more natural-looking results. FUE enables your surgeon to build a gradual hairline since it allows the use of finer hairs.
- Unlimited source of donor hair. Since FUE also allows the use of hair from other parts of your body, almost anyone can be a good candidate for the procedure.
However, there are also some limitations involved in the process. It can be more expensive as compared to a strip hair transplant and requires a higher level of skill and expertise.
Pros and Cons of Strip Surgery
While strip surgery leaves behind a linear scar that may eventually widen and stretch over time and is not ideal for those who require extensive hair transplantation due to limited hair donor source, it provides the following advantages:
- More cost-effective. It is considerably cheaper as compared to FUE.
- Less labor-intensive. You will spend less time in surgery.
- Produces healthier follicular units. The follicular units harvested through strip surgery are carefully dissected and inspected before implantation.
Consult a qualified professional hair restoration specialist to know which method will serve your individual needs. For best results, call us at 1(888)609-4247 or use this online form to schedule a free consultation. This can help you determine which method will give you the results you need.
DiStefano Hair Restoration Center is committed to helping men and women take charge of their appearance and self-esteem through hair restoration options. For more than 16 years, DiStefano has been at the forefront of the hair transplantation industry, and has performed more than 5,000 successful hair transplant procedures.