When it comes to hare care there are some basic rules to follow, like avoiding over-washing, brushing, and processing. Simply put, the less managed your hair, the healthier it will be.
For anyone with thinning hair, basic care just isn’t enough. Thinning hair requires extra special attention to look its best. Now, bid dull, lifeless hair good-bye with these thinning hair Do’s and Don’ts.
- Do massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers before taking a shower to increase blood flow and exfoliate pores.
- Do use a wide tooth comb (for wavy or curly hair) or a soft, rounded bristle brush (for straight hair) to gently detangle hair before hopping in the shower.
- Do use a volume-boosting shampoo and conditioner that won’t leave residue or weigh your hair down.
- Do minimize breakage by gently patting wet hair dry with a microfiber towel.
- Do flip your head upside down when blow-drying your hair to add volume.
- Do use a dry shampoo made with cornstarch to add a boost in between washings.
- Do protect your hair from sun damage by limiting exposure. Ask your stylist if a shampoo or conditioner with sunscreen is right for you.
- Do sleep on a silky pillowcase to reduce friction which can cause tangles and lead to breakage.
- Don’t wrap your hair in a towel after you shower. The twisting and turning can lead to breakage.
- Don’t use tight, grippy hair bands or ties. Let your hair be as loose as possible and look for a no-tug tie or band if you must pull your hair back.
- Don’t avoid coloring your hair. Just be sure to pick deep, rich shades that are as close to your natural hair color as possible.
- Don’t wash hair in extremely hot water. In fact, some hair professionals believe a final rinse in cool water closes the cuticles.
- Don’t go to sleep with wet hair as it won’t bounce back as easily in the morning and will require extra styling to look more voluminous.
- Don’t wait too long before getting a haircut, especially if you have split ends. Schedule your cuts every six weeks or so.
- Don’t depend on heat styling products. If you must blow-dry, curl, or flat-iron your hair, do use a heat protectant spray.
And yet, what if all the proper care in the world does nothing to stop your hair from thinning? That’s when it’s time to contact DiStefano Hair Restoration Center for a free consultation to explore your options. We help men and women alike look and feel great.